Tuesday 13 September 2011

Reflection One: ICT Promotes Young Children's Learning


Date: 22 August, 2011

This afternoon I was taking photos of some children playing on the jumping box when three-year-old boy B jumped down and asked me if he could see the pictures. After viewing the photos, he asked “can I take a photo of my brother?” while I was hesitating, he pleaded with “please!” “Ok, let me show you…” Before I finished, he took the camera and said “I know how to use it”. He skillfully put the band on his wrist, then raised the camera, carefully focused his brother on the screen and clicked swiftly. “One more” he said and took another. He then pressed the view button and showed me the two photos. Reflecting this learning experience, I was very surprised with B’s competence for using the camera because I did not think a three-year-old child knew how to use a camera properly. I often say that I value children as capable and competent learners. Obviously today, I under-estimated B’s ability of using technology.
As a professional early childcare educator, I need to re-shape my images of children about the use of technology. In this dynamic society with advanced technology, most young children are growing up in media-rich digital environment that permeates their lives and influences their understanding of the world. From my conversation with B, I knew that his confidence in the use of a digital camera was built up at home. To reflect this, I felt that there was a big gap between children’s access to and use of new technologies at home and in the childcare centre. For example, in my centre, children are not allowed to use or touch the centre’s camera. Some preschool children often ask to use my personal camera to take photos. And I think, if supervised or guided properly, they will experience “enhanced learning opportunities through the meaningful use of ICT” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p.2).
According to Aubrey and Dahl (2008), technology can contribute to developing children’s dispositions to learning, extending their knowledge and understanding of the world and acquiring operational skills. Similar ideas can be seen in Plowman and Stephen’s statement that technology enhances children’s learning and development not only “for operational skills but also for less measurable positive dispositions towards learning such as persistence, engagement and pleasure” (2006, p.9).
As a professional early childcare educator, I feel that it is very important to incorporate information and communication technology into my practice. With what I have learned from the course and readings, I understand “how modern technologies can help us better meet the social, physical, and learning needs of young children” (Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.8) so that they can become capable and competent users of ICT (Ministry of Education, 1996).
References:

Aubrey, C. & Dahl, S. (2008). A review of the evidence on the use of ICT in the early years foundation stage. Retrieved from http://www.e-learningcentre.co.uk/Resource/CMS/Assets/5c10130e-6a9f-102c-a0be-003005bbceb4/form_uploads/review_early_years_foundation.pdf
Ministry of Education. (2007). Kei tua o te pae: Assessment for learning: Early childhood exemplars (Booklet 20). Wellington: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa .Wellington: Learning Media.
Plowman, L. & Stephen, C. (2006). Technologies and learning in pre-school education. Paper presented at AERA annual meeting, Education Research in the Public Interest, April 2006, San Francisco, CA.
Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003).  Examining some common about computer use in the early years. Young Children. Vol 58 (1), pp. 1-9.

5 comments:

  1. I agree! It is so amazing what children are capable of when given the opportunity. I think this situation sounds like a good way to create a home to centre familiarity through the use of technology. Maybe B could take photos at home and bring them in to the centre to show everyone? This could involve emailing, printing, downloading onto a computer and many more various technological tools. There are really endless possibilities with this interest and that is what is so good about technology. Talay- Ongan & Ap (2005) discuss the importance of these tools stating “Children’s technological capabilities are most directly influenced by their early experiences at home and play” (p226).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you think child B learns how to use the camera? at the center, at home or at a friends house. I agree with the idea of now a days technology is in every where. I think this is why it is important to extend children's knowledge, skills and interests an interests by providing for their needs. Now I found from your reflection that child B learns using camera from home. It is a pity to find out that children are not allowed to use the centers camera. It is the same as at my center hopefully we could help to push implementing I.C.T in early childhood settings if our teaching is based on children's interest.
    Kapai Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I could see throughout this reflection that not only was B growing, but you as well. It is very easy to underestimate children especially when it comes to digital technology. I must say sometime I feel that they can teach me a thing or two. Why don’t you try giving the children day to day access to a camera solely for them, it is a great idea, as it will allow the children to revisit their experiences. It is a great way to help build on their cognitive skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Liyan,
    Why the hesitation when we are supposes to help children grow as competent and confident learners?
    It was obvious the child had some experience with the digital camera because of how he had asked the question. I think this is an issue where the cost of technology becomes a barrier for children's learning.
    I liked how you replied by allowing the child to implement his interest because you received information about the child that you can extend on. You also communicated with the child B adding more important information of where he began generating the use of a camera.
    Ka pai Liyan, now you have knowledge of what children are capable of with use of technology, what next? Will you approach the centre to allow children the use of camera?
    Kia kaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liyan, I am hearing that this is a common issue of children not being allowed to have access tot he centre's cameras. It is a bit sad as the children are quite capable. It is actually some of the teachers who are not capable of trusting the children. I understand that a camera can be fairly costly but I believe children deserve every opportunity to learn through meaningful hands on experiences. This cannot happen if they are not allowed their "hands on" the camera. Hopefully as more teachers reflect on the value of ICT and technology as a teaching tool we will be able to change these practices in centres. Kia kaha.

    ReplyDelete